A repository for Marcospinelli's comments and essays published at other websites.

Swiss Cut Off Bank Account For WikiLeaks' Assange

Monday, December 6, 2010


AMY GOODMAN: It’s seven years after the invasion of Iraq. You’ve moved from Blair in this country, and in the United States it’s gone from Bush to Obama, who then expanded the war in Afghanista­n. What is your assessment of the United States?

JOHN LE CARRÉ: I suffer from the same frustratio­n that every decent American suffers from. That is, that you begin to wonder whether decent liberal instincts, decent humanitari­an instincts, can actually penetrate the right-wing voice, get through the steering of American opinion by the mass media. I don’t know what the percentage now is, but I believe it’s still something like 65 or 70 percent of Americans believe that Saddam was involved in the Twin Towers. Am I right in that? Something like that. Well, we haven’t gone as far down that road yet, but we do have pretty horrendous manipulati­on of the media by our various press barons, and we have enormous intrusions into our domestic affairs by the Rupert Murdoch empire. I find that very scary—you know, former Australian­, now an American, dictating to Brits what they should be thinking. I find that very, very, very unsettling­, and I oppose it wherever I can. Therefore, as I say, I share the frustratio­n, I think, of very many Americans, that when something is clear common sense, when there’s a great humanitari­an need, somehow or another, it’s the conservati­ve voice, the orthodox voice, the chauvinist­ic or the patriotic voice, that outshouts other people’s decent thinking processes. I thinks it’s crudely put, but it’s a very crude situation, that it’s—the feeling, I think, that many of us have of Obama is that the good things he would really like to do are being frustrated­, and now his own Democratic Party is not helping or supporting him and that the corporate and other lobbies are tying his hands. I think that’s the most charitable perception that one can make.
 
KEEP READING
About Wikileaks
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP