A repository for Marcospinelli's comments and essays published at other websites.

The McLaughlin Group: It's the "Professional Left's" Fault

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I appreciate your problem with this, I really do. But, here's my problem with this:



Words have meanings. I wish 'they' (whoever 'they' are who coin these terms) had picked another word to meet the definition, because there's nothing 'liberal' about 'neoliberalism', but 'they' didn't.



My problem with using 'right-wing conservatism' to describe Obama is that it doesn't really cover him. Or at least not everything that we know to be true about him. While he espouses perspectives that aren't shared by rightwing conservatives (about gays, ab0rtion), his actions tell a different story (filing briefs comparing gay marriage to incest & pedophilia, the executive order on the Stupak amendment, etc.).



Calling him a rightwing conservative also confuses rightwing conservatives, who can't see beyond the 'D' after someone's name, and think we're all liberals. I can't be responsible for their ig.no.rance and change the language to suit their wrong understanding of it.



It's for these reasons that I try to leave it as textbook as I can, to get us all on the same page linguistically at least.



I'm happy to oblige, however, if we can all get on the same page about his qualifications (as a rightwing conservative).
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP