A repository for Marcospinelli's comments and essays published at other websites.

U.S. Job Seekers Test Positive For Drugs At Highest Rate Since 2007, Study Finds

Sunday, March 10, 2013


Quite frankly, your argument smacks of the Republican logic;

========================================

Quite frankly, I think our current policies smack of Republic "one size fits all/'nuance' is a dirty word" logic. The way that government has gotten involved in what is the public's interest is cray-zy.

Our minds and bodies function due to a combination of chemicals.  Whether it's pharmaceuticals or food/alcohol/plants/fungi, taking any of these substances into our bodies produces changes in our bodies chemistries that make us feel good.  Or that is the game plan.  In other words, we take these substances to change or alter the way that we're feeling without these substances.  What works for one person may or may not work for another.  For example, you don't want to be anywhere near one of my daughters when she is craving sugar.  But you don't want to be anywhere near her 4-year old son after he's had sugar.  

When it comes to professionals on the job, you would probably be very surprised by the numbers that are substance users.  Since you mentioned surgeons, while nobody knows the exact numbers of nurses and doctors using substances, it's higher than you would probably be comfortable with.  Had you mentioned lawyers, I'd point out that they, too, are substance users.  Had you mentioned police, I'd point out that they, too, abuse drugs and alcohol (25%).  Imagine that, 1/4 of all police, people who are licensed to kill.  At least with lawyers, the public is only at risk of being tongue-lashed. Bad joke, sorry.

I know people (in all of these and other professions), who use marijuana and function exceptionally well on the job.  Better, actually, than without it.  It's just their particular body chemistry.  I couldn't do it - I should caveat that original statement, about my drug history and use of drugs (Lipitor):  In my much much younger days (the 1960s), I did smoke marijuana recreationally.  The way my body and mind function with THC isn't the same as the way that these others' bodies function with it.   It's because there is a potential for disaster (air traffic controllers, train conductors, etc.) and we can't or aren't able to qualify those who are high functioning with it from those who aren't, we've banned it.  

I know that I couldn't work stoned, just as I know that I couldn't/wouldn't operate on a patient after a couple of scotches.  The government trusts me with that decision on alcohol, but doesn't when it comes to marijuana or other drugs.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP