A repository for Marcospinelli's comments and essays published at other websites.

I Am Thankful for TSA Workers

Saturday, November 27, 2010


An interview on Democracy Now! with activist Derrick Jensen that Mike Elk and all those who are "thankful" to 'good civil servants' should read:

DERRICK JENSEN: I think a lot of us are increasingly recognizing that the dominant culture is killing the planet. We can argue about whether there will be a few bacteria left, but when 90 percent of the large fish in the oceans are gone, when there’s six to ten times as much plastic as phytoplankton in parts of the ocean, when there’s dioxin in every mother’s breast milk, when background rates of extinction are a thousand to ten thousand times background rates, it’s sort of just playing with numbers to talk about whether it’s killing the planet or simply mortally wounding it. And I think it’s very important for us to start to build a culture of resistance, because what we’re doing isn’t working, clearly.
I ask a lot of times why it is that environmentalists lose so often. And there’s a couple of answers that really speak to me. One of them is that I think a lot of us don’t really know what it is we want, and we don’t think strategically very much. So what do you want?
I do know what I want, which is I want to live in a world that has more wild salmon every year than the year before, and I want to live in a world that has less dioxin in every mother’s breast milk every year than the year before, and a world that has more migratory songbirds every year than the year before.  

KEEP READING


Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP