A repository for Marcospinelli's comments and essays published at other websites.

Marijuana Chain Planned By Jamen Shively; Investment Will Total $100 Million Over 3 Years

Friday, May 31, 2013


I, too, have known people who used marijuana on a near constant basis and there are a few truths I've learned over the years about substance users.  

We are each different, some of us using food as drugs, alcohol as drugs, golf (or any sport or exercise) as a drug, s.e.x as a drug, etc.  When it comes right down to it, we're each just a bag of chemicals, configured in different ways, but each of our own collection or combination of chemicals makes us feel a particular way.  Most of us don't feel at our optimum without some substance, and each affects our productivity to some degree or other.  

People do drugs for one reason and one reason alone:  Their waking state doesn't feel good.  I know someone who takes 2 Aleve every 12 hours, not for any high or sense of intoxication, but because he says it gives him "a general sense of well-being".  Who knows the long term effects of Aleve on the body?  That's the real issue, and for that we need to look to a whole variety of why that is and what can be done about it.  The long term effects of such seemingly benign substances as Sweet & Low may cause health problems that will cost us in ways that a "low productivity employee" would.  In America, we drive ourselves mercilessly, not taking vacations.  Our employers have made taking time off a battle, trying to make us believe that our lives are our work.  It's not.  A "low productivity employee" just may be self-medicating to get what every other employee in civilized western nations get (a vacation) to keep himself at a job below his skill level.  The way our economy is going, employees are becoming obsolete.  What jobs there will be will be low paying and require few skills.

When it comes to work productivity, marijuana affects people differently.  Currently I can name about a dozen people who would fit your "constant" definition, and a more brilliant and productive group I've never known.  From lawyers to EMTs to wildly successful entrepreneurs and even a private airline pilot.  

I should tell you that I don't smoke marijuana, but I did back in the 60s, and I'm not one of those whom I put in that category.   I wouldn't smoke marijuana on the job because I do value my work performance and me, it impairs.  But I don't need a law or drug testing to prevent me from doing it.  If murder wasn't against the law would you commit it?  I suspect that you, too, don't need a law to prevent you from drinking alcohol.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP