A repository for Marcospinelli's comments and essays published at other websites.

If You Use This Word, People Will Think You're Stupid

Friday, May 11, 2012


I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough -- Another pet peeve of mine (about myself, along with my being sloppy with pronouns).

Enthuse is a verb, not an adjective.  

"I'm enthusiastic about my new job," she enthused.  

It's not, "I'm enthused about my new job."

The verb enthuse is a back formation of the noun enthusiasm.  While it's gained in legitimacy (because it's so widely misused), it's still seen as colloquial, which is basically what this article is about; the misuse of words that make a person seem poorly educated.

:-)
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP